One of my favorite talks in this past General Conference was President Monson's talk during the Sunday morning session. It was called "The Race of Life."
Here is my favorite quote from that talk:
"When compared to eternal verities, most of the questions and concerns of
daily living are really rather trivial. What should we have for dinner?
What color should we paint the living room? Should we sign Johnny up
for soccer? These questions and countless others like them lose their
significance when times of crisis arise, when loved ones are hurt or
injured, when sickness enters the house of good health, when life’s
candle dims and darkness threatens. Our thoughts become focused, and we
are easily able to determine what is really important and what is merely
trivial."
He goes on to tell about a lady that spent her days cleaning and shopping and barely spent any time with her family. Until she got really sick one day and was about to die she realized she should have spent less time doing such trivial things.
He goes on to tell about a lady that spent her days cleaning and shopping and barely spent any time with her family. Until she got really sick one day and was about to die she realized she should have spent less time doing such trivial things.
I know it's such a simple concept but I really needed to be reminded to focus on what is really important in life. Ever since having Brooklyn and going back to work I felt like I've been able to balance everything except my housework. There are times where my house could be on an episode of "Hoarders." I'm not even exaggerating when I say that my house gets so messy that at times you can't even see the floor. This has been really hard for me because I've always prided myself in being a clean person and trying to always have a clean house. It is very stressful for me when I have a dirty house.
After hearing this I realized that it doesn't matter what my house looks like. I slowly will get it cleaned through the weeks and it will slowly get dirty again but it just doesn't matter. What does matter is the reason why I don't have a lot of time to clean. It's because I like to spend every second after I'm off work with Brooklyn. Feeding her dinner, playing on the ground with her and snuggling her. Getting her ready for bed and rocking her to sleep. And then having great talks with Adam before we go to bed. That's what matters and this talk helped me to remember that and to let go of the fact that I have 8 piles of laundry that needs to be cleaned and a sink piled high full of dishes.
I need to keep reminding myself of this everyday.
(p.s. I actually stressed about what color to paint our basement for a couple weeks. haha)
(p.s. I actually stressed about what color to paint our basement for a couple weeks. haha)

I couldn't agree with this more! I feel the exact same way about my own house. I had this realization just a few weeks ago. My house is pretty much always a disaster but at the end of the day, my family is taken care of and that is the most important thing. These little babies grow up too fast! We gotta spend as much time with them as we can.
ReplyDeleteSo glad someone else is feeling the same. I'm seriously considering hiring someone to help me clean once a month. Adam doesn't think that's such a good idea. ha!
Delete