August 9, 2011

Brooklyn's Birth Story

My due date was July 20th but since there were no signs that I was going to have a baby on my own they scheduled me to be induced on July 28th. They would have done it on July 27th but my doctor wasn't working that day so we decided to put it off one day so he could be there if possible. I had still been going to work up until this point but decided to start my maternity leave on July 27th so Adam and I could spend the day together and make sure we had everything ready for the arrival of our little babe the next day. We ran a bunch of errands and went to dinner with my parents and I was very achy and it was getting really hard for me to move around.

We stayed up late doing laundry and making sure our house was clean. About 10 o'clock at night I started feeling what I thought might be contractions but nothing consistent or too intense. At about midnight the contractions started coming a lot stronger and 10 minutes apart. We kept timing them and they got down to about 8 minutes apart. We called the hospital at about 3 o'clock in the morning and they said just to come in since they already had my room ready for my induction later that morning.
We arrived at the hospital at about 3:30 and got checked into our room and my mom arrived a few minutes later. The contractions started coming a lot quicker and a lot stronger. I was in a lot of pain. The nurse checked me and I was only dilated to a 3, but was only at a 2 the day before so at least there was some improvement. I got my epidural at about 4:30 and I felt fabulous after that. I couldn't feel any of the contractions. We watched some episodes of The Office and took a nap for awhile. My doctor came in at about 7 o'clock and said at the rate I was going I would be fully dilated by about 1 o'clock in the afternoon and would probably push for about an hour so we would have the baby about 2 o'clock. 
The nurse came in at about 9:30 and said they couldn't see my contractions on the monitor. She checked me again and I was dilated to a 9+. It went a lot faster than they had expected. She quickly got everything set up in the room for the delivery and had me push a couple of times. The baby's heart rate dropped really low each time I pushed so she had me stop and went and got the doctor. Once the doctor got there I pushed a few more times and Baby Brooklyn was born at 10:39 am, weighing 7 lbs. 8 oz. and 19.5 inches long. 
I am so glad the delivery went so smoothly and pretty pain free for me. I couldn't have imagined it going any better. It was such an amazing experience to see our little babe for the first time, all safe and sound. I couldn't stop thinking how beautiful she was.
The rest of our stay at the hospital was amazing. We had the most amazing nurses taking care of us and we have the most supportive friends and family come visit to see our baby. I seriously loved everything about our stay at the hospital. Adam didn't like his sleeping arrangements so much. He stayed on the littlest, most uncomfortable couch bed. haha
I seriously can't believe my pregnancy is already over and we have a beautiful little baby to show for it. At times it seemed like she would never actually be here with us, especially that last week I was overdue. But she is here now and she has been such a good baby. We are just loving our little family of 3!

2 comments:

  1. She is seriously so beautiful! And you look gorgeous too! I think you look amazing after just having a baby! Congrats to the both of you! We cant wait to meet her. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Yay!! She is beautiful and you look great. I'm glad it all went so well. I hope I get to meet her one day!

    ReplyDelete